Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Influencers


“Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human on another.”
George Eliot

Influences…they are all around us. Some of them good and some of them are bad. Some of them have a lasting impact on us while some of them just influence us for a moment. Still some emphatically shout out at us to change while others quietly slip into our lives unawares. If you've never heard the song For Good from Wicked then I would recommend that you watch this video.


Any one of us can point back to a life-changing moment in our history that influenced us on a career path, a hobby, or a passion. I can point back to a few life changing moments in my history. I am by nature a very impressionable person. I don’t know if it is because I have a more open personality or what but many things have left their mark on me. But this post is more about people than things. Many people have influenced me along the walk of life. I should note here that my family and God has influenced more than anyone else in this world. My parents where the ones that shaped me (blame them!) and God is the one who has helped me to grow in my Christian walk of life. The people I am going to talk about are people may not necessarily know about their influence but they have each helped to influence me to become who I am today.

The very first influential person I can remember was back when I was maybe 7 or 8. (I’m not very good at synching up times and ages in my past but I know I was around elementary age.) Her name: Jill Roscoe (now Czekalski). What did she do? Played the piano, sang, and was (and still is) a marvelous Christian lady. I started playing piano at my Babchi’s (Polish for Grandma) house on her big organ when I was 5 or 6. The organ keys and organ books were lettered and I would sit there and play forever. I absolutely loved it and from then on became interested in music. I never thought about playing the piano until I met Jill. She was a kind lady in her 20’s or so who played piano for our church. I adored her and wanted to do everything like her. I wanted to sing harmony like her, play like her, and when I grew up I would be like her. I have never understood why I took a liking to her rather than others but some things will always remain a mystery. I talked to my mom and started teaching myself how to play the piano. I also started teaching myself how to sing harmony (altos rock!!!). She still is an influence to me to this day and I will never play piano as well as her but I hope to make her proud. Thank you Jill!!

The next influential person I want to talk about is Jill’s mom: Mrs. Kathy Roscoe. She was our pastor’s wife who served the church in many ways. Now she is fading fast and I may never get to speak with her to tell her on earth what an influence she was but I know I will get to tell her in Heaven. When I attended Chili Bible Baptist Church she taught the Sunday School class for my age. From there, she influenced me to be a teacher. She gave me some of her old flannel-graphs and I remember playing with them and “acting” out Bible stories. To this day, every time I see a flannel-graph I remember Mrs. Roscoe and those times “acting” out the Bible stories. When I teach my Pee-Wee club members, I remember her teaching style and how creative she was. I know I wouldn’t be a teacher if Mrs. Roscoe didn’t influence me in the way she did. She wrote me a letter once telling me how well I played the piano and told me to always play for the Lord. I still have that letter and treasure it. She will reach Heaven soon and it will be a sad for a brief moment but I will remember those happy moments. Thank you Mrs. Roscoe!!

If you would have looked at my life 5 or 6 years ago, you would have seen a troubled young lady unsure of God, unsure of who I was, and unsure of what I wanted to do. Since then I have re-dedicated my life to Christ and every day I’m finding out more of who I am and what makes me tick. All throughout college I kept praying and searching for what God wanted me to do with my life. I cried and begged for God to show me but God knew my heart wasn’t ready for the answer. I graduated from a Bible College not knowing what God wanted me to do. I was confused and not at peace with my situation. In the fall of 2010, my brothers invited me to see a magic show. The magician was a Christian and they had gone to see him before. I was interested and curious because they mentioned he did some of Houdini’s tricks. Houdini was amazing and anyone who could do his tricks was top class in my mind. So I went along for the ride and was totally amazed by the tricks I saw. His whole “theme” for the show was Mayhem and Misdirection. He explained that some magic tricks use misdirection as a tool to make “magic”. He tied that into modern day life and how we can be distracted by the main task with so many different things. I honestly don’t remember everything he said word for word (this was almost 2 years ago) but I remember that he talked about how the devil distracts us. Those 15 minutes changed my life. I knew that I was being distracted by other trivial things in my life. I wasn’t focused on what God was really telling me to do so I started concentrating and really praying on a direction for my life.  The struggle wasn’t over as my stubborn self refused to look right in front of me. If I would have, I would have found the answer much sooner. In January of 2011, I attended a Kingsmen concert and God confirmed in my heart that He wanted me to serve Him with music. Now all of you are probably screaming at the computer saying “I knew that! Why wouldn’t you think that?!” Don’t scream at the computer, use your inside voice. As I said, I was stubborn and refused to look at what talents God had provided me with. I’ve never spoken (really spoken) with Harris the 3rd before and I do look forward to the day that I can tell him what God is doing in my life because of those 15 minutes. However, I was able to help him in his DVD project. He was in influence to me so the least I can do is be a help to him. Thank you Harris the 3rd!!!

(If you want more info on his DVD project here’s the link:

So to you three, thank you for influencing me in the right direction. I hope to tell each of you in person someday how much of an influence you all have been on my life. For now, this blog will have to do. There are countless others I can mention: Mom, Dad, Eric, Joel, Melissa, Shoshanna, Mrs. Brock, Mrs. Stearns, Mrs. Hinds, Mrs. Cornett, Mrs. Richardson, Mrs. Giallourakis, Mrs. Washington, Pastor Sexton, Pastor Wolvin, Mrs. Wolvin, etc. The list is never ending and I could go on forever but my mom says I ramble too much so I won’t. I’ll end with a little thought: A little girl came up to me 2 Wednesdays ago and told me she wished she could play like me. It took me back to the days I longed to play like Jill, the days I longed to teach like Mrs. Roscoe, and the moment in time God called me to serve Him with music. The cycle never ends and I hope to someday teach her. It’s my turn to carry the torch. Until next time,

Be Happy Being Single
Always Remember to Sing in the Rain

Christa

P.S. Soon more details on the giveaway to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment