Thursday, April 12, 2012

To Be Determined

Two days ago, I had to pack everything from desk at work and move it all. It had been a rough couple of days and that was the last thing I wanted to do. You see I had accumulated a lot of belongings. I can’t function at a desk that’s not properly decorated. I had some flower arrangements, my Ted Dekker books, some Beanie Babies, and countless pictures of my family, Pee-Wee club, Southern Gospel groups, and the Straight No Chaser concert. My mind floated back to Monday when I walked into work and…

“Christa, you need to clock in now!” My boss exclaimed with a look of impatience on her face. I was walking into work feeling overjoyed as I just had a wonderful weekend filled with spending time with my friends and family. I was working the late shift and had an enjoyable night’s sleep. My boss looked a little stressed and it concerned me. She told me that there was an emergency meeting and that we all needed to attend. I walked in and everyone had pens and paper ready. I was a little apprehensive about what was going on but I took my seat at the front and waited for the meeting to start. Our HR representative then explained that 4 people had been laid off from my department that day and then tried to reassure us that the rest of us were safe from the cuts. I resisted the temptation to look around to see who was gone. I immediately became concerned about my position because he said I was safe but my question was for how long. He continued to explain something about re-organizing the team structure and told us that the company was financially sound but due to the decrease in…. I didn’t hear the rest as I was still shocked by the news. Then it was over with, a 10 minute meeting that changed the whole outlook of my day. Four of my co-workers without any word of warning had been let go. Twelve people lost their jobs that day. It could‘ve been me just as easily as it was them. What would I do? Fear gripped my heart and I thought of the stack of bills I had incurred. I wouldn’t be able to survive without any income. Then in a flash I made the decision to praise God. I thanked Him for sparing my job and thanked Him for His many blessings this weekend. I decided to place my trust in Him and His promise. I have a verse on my desk from Psalms that states “I have been young and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken nor his seed begging bread.” I remembered the saying “I don’t know what the future holds but I know Who holds the future.” In my mind, my future is to be determined but in God’s mind it’s all planned out. I originally started this blog to say how wonderful of a life God has given me and now I definitely realize it. I was being to get a little unconcerned about my friends, my job, and my family. I was taking them for granted instead of thanking God for granting me these gifts. It brought me out of the fairytale that everything would remain the same and into the reality that everything could be gone in mere seconds.

By the time this blog post goes up it will be  one week until my second SNC concert, 6 days until my friend Maranda comes to visit, and 6 days after the girl’s movie night I hosted at my house. As I sit here looking at 4 front row tickets (no, I’m not bragging…ok I’m bragging), I realize I am blessed. Three other girls paid almost $100 (including tickets, gas, and food) to make a 6-hour round trip journey to Toledo. Granted they are not going just to be with me but it makes me feel blessed that they want to experience this with me. Another friend is coming down in a few weeks just to hang out with me. I’ve never had that happen before. I’ve always been the one to get up and go to wherever I needed to be but she’s making a special trip down to Ohio just to see me. I am humbled. Later last week, we had a girl’s only movie night at my house. I am honored to have friends that want to hang around me. These are friends that encourage me and help me. They are the ones that can go up to a rack of clothing and pick out a random shirt and say Christa would like that. 99.99% of the time they are correct. It’s amazing to know that they know my style and want to know what I think or want to know what I like.

I don’t talk about my family much. In fact I haven’t really mentioned them except the fact I have brothers. Well, consider this your introduction to my family. I have two brothers: one older and one younger. My parents are still around and are still married to each other (30 years this May). My family is my biggest support network. They are the ones who are not afraid to correct me or tell me how to fix something. I take high regard on what my family thinks of me and I know that they are there to help me through the rough times. I can be unpredictable at times but they don’t seem to mind. We have our fights and at times we might seem like we hate each other but when it comes down to it we love each other like not one else. I love my family!

Some people may be interested in what I do for a living. I work for a non-profit credit counseling service that helps people with their credit card debt. Non-profit meaning the business is non-profit…me, I am for-profit. Yes, I do get paid money for my work and no, I don’t volunteer. Bills don’t pay themselves, you know. I basically work with creditors in my areas. I won’t bore you with the details so you can all breathe that sigh of relief. My job is unique in the fact that most of my benefits are paid for and I have very good work hours. My job can be unpredictable (hmm…who does that sound like?) and there have been times where I wished I had a different job altogether. I have prayed about it and God has stated that right here is where I need to be for right now. I will listen to what He has to say for there was a time when I didn’t listen. It was the most miserable 2 years of my life. Don’t ever stop listening to God.

I am blessed in the fact that I have a loving family, caring friends, and a paying job. I am blessed in the fact that almost 400 people have read my blog in the past 3 months without me twisting their arm. Thank you for your readership (is that even a word?). You are quite an awesome group. Quiet, but awesome. In the words of Porky Pig “(Random stuttering) That’s all folks!!!” Until next time,

Be happy being single
Always Remember to Sing in the Rain

Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment