Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Wedding

Over the past month or so, I have had quite a few dreams about weddings, mine or someone else’s. It might be because my little brother Joel got engaged to a wonderful girl last week. I’ve known about this forever. They are the perfect match for each other and I am really excited to gain a new sister (in-law). I’ve always prayed for a sister but my parents were not inclined to have another child so I had to wait many years. I know the wait will be worth it J Now that the time has come for them to plan their wedding, it will be my first time as a bridesmaid. I have been involved in many weddings as the Guest Book Attendant and Backstage Helper (for lack of a better term) but never in the semi-forefront. It will be interesting this time and exciting. I am so glad for the opportunity and I can’t to find out what my dress will look like. The thing I most hate about weddings is the critiques of the color choices and the dresses. Granted some brides don’t have the best taste but it’s their wedding and whatever they want to do they can do. This is the one and only time that I will give my opinion only when asked because that’s the way I would want to be treated. When you are a bride, the last thing you want is unsolicited advice. I will try my best to not be a bridezilla but it’s almost impossible to please everybody. Let me take you on a journey down Future Boulevard past Engagement Circle. Take a right at Wedding Avenue and you’ll see a church where a glorious wedding is taking place. Open the doors and let’s begin…


The Dress:
Number one: I do not want a traditional dress. Number two: I do not want to be forced to buy a dress that is ugly because of my full(er) figure. I am a plus size so I do realize that my choices could be limited but I am hoping to cut down a lot before the wedding. I joined a gym last week. I want to look good at my wedding and do not want to regret that I could have lost more weight. I want to be happy with myself. I have always wanted a ball gown but since ball gowns can make bigger people look bigger I have changed my opinion and would love an A-line gown. A-line gowns are the best at fitting just about any size of girl. I would really love a Southern-ball style dress with ruffles and bows. I would love something that Scarlett O’Hara would wear but just a bit more modest. Here’s a picture of what I would like for a dress and veil….
As I said, it’s not going to be your typical wedding dress as I hate traditional wedding dresses. Almost every wedding I’ve went to the bride has the standard silk skirt and bodice with beading and the lace “jacket” with some beading. To me that is boring. A unique dress might cost more but to me it’s worth it. Oh, yes I am wearing a hat.

Bridesmaids and Groomsmen:
I would love a Christmas wedding and have two ideas for colors: red, black, and silver or blue, silver, and white. I have yet to decide on one idea because (news flash) I’m not even engaged yet. However, I do know a rough idea of what I would like the bridesmaids to wear. Here’s a snapshot…
Do you like? I would also love for the bridesmaids to wear hats. If you know me at all, you know I love hats!! I am going to have a special request in my invitation that all the women wear hats. I think it will turn out great and it will put a unique spin on the wedding. I would also love my groomsmen and groom to wear top hats but that might be another story. I would love for my groom to surprise me with his outfit as I am going to surprise him with mine. So that would mean he would have to choose the groomsmen attire as well. Now this does depend if he has a sense of style or not but we’ll get to that later.

Music:
Yes I have most of music planned out. I would love to open with God’s Been Good by Legacy Five. Why? Because I think that it typifies my story and I know that’s what I will feel like on that day. Listen to it. It’s very good…
The bridesmaids would then walk down to an arrangement of A Dream is A Wish Your Heart Makes. Why? It’s my favorite Disney song and I absolutely love the story of Cinderella. I would love to have a classical guitarist play it but we will have to see…
I would walk down to Long Ago and Far Away. If you’ve never heard it before here it is…
Lovely isn’t it?? Then during the lighting of the unity candle or pouring of the sand or whatever we choose I would love to have So This is Love from Disney’s Cinderella played (not so sure about this song but let’s just go with it). Again, if you never heard it….
Then we would walk back to There’s A Place Called Home. This is from Christmas Carol the Musical and I melted the first time I heard it. Never heard of it before? Here you go….
Did you see why I melted now? I know I’m a hopeless romantic.

Odds and Ends:
For my bouquet I would love to have red roses and white lilies or white roses and blue lilies. They look so beautiful together and it would go well with both of my color choices. At the reception, I would love to have a CD or two or three of old love songs (carefully chosen by me and my groom) playing. They would be songs that mean something to us both. I would also love to have a magician at the reception. Can you imagine the entrance he could work out for us?! That would be pure awesomeness. The cake would be spectacular and I feel in love with this cake when I first saw it. It’s so beautiful.
Well, thanks for going on a trip with me down Future Boulevard. I hope someday that all my “dreams” will come true and I know that God, my family, and my friends will be there with me throughout the whole thing. 

Until then,
Be happy being single
Always remember to keep singing in the rain

Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment